Job Posting – Netmizaaggaming Nishnaabeg (Pic Mobert First Nation): Education Manager
The Netmizaaggamig Nishnaabeg (Pic Mobert First Nation) is an Ojibway Community of approximately 350 people whose traditional territory is centred on White Lake in Northwestern Ontario, located 350 km from Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie, just off of the TransCanada Highway.
In 2016, our membership ratified an Agreement with Canada for restoration of jurisdiction and self-governance in education, including the passage of an Education Law, along with a number of communities within the Anishinabek Nation, which came into effect as of April, 2018. Within the Vision and Mission Statements of Pic Mobert First Nation the Education Manager will provide overall leadership and direction on all matters related to education, early learning, primary, secondary, and post-secondary programs.
Reporting to the Band General Manager and/or CEO, the Education Manager is a high-profile, demanding and rewarding position that is generally accountable for overseeing the development and delivering strategies, programs and services that will raise the educational attainment for all Band students and strive to incorporate culture and traditions of the community and its citizens. Utilizing a community development approach, the Manager will provide expert support on the development of a 5 year education plan as required by our Education Law, and will work closely with education staff, community leaders, and members, through the local Education Committee and other various committees and varied engagement processes.
This is a full-time position and will demand a high level of commitment. We are seeking a highly motivated individual whose aspirations and accomplishments demonstrate a passion and commitment to achieving excellence in the field of education that is culturally relevant. This is a senior-level management position with competitive compensation and opportunities to participate in the First Nation’s supplemental benefit and pension programs.
The Education Manager is responsible for overall oversight and management of the regulated Education System for the local Elementary School, High School Students, Post Secondary Program, Early Learning and Alternative Education Programs, including the administration of all proposal-based education programming.
The Manager is responsible for service delivery, compliance and reporting, and supervision of all Education staff. The Manager will work as a contributing member of a management team and work closely and coordinate their efforts with other departments for services.
In addition, applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Tact and diplomacy;
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken – ability to write clear correspondence including emails, letters, memos and reports;
- Experience with financial management, budgeting;
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgement, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines and commitments;
- Reliable and accountable.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree;
- Bachelor of Education;
- Valid Ontario College of Teachers certification;
- Valid Principals Qualifications PQP Part 1 and PQP Part 2;
- Minimum of 5 years Management Experience;
- Teaching Experience preferably with experiential teaching methods;
- Clear Vulnerable Person Sector Check;
- Provide an acceptable Pre-employment Drug Screening Test.
- Monday to Friday 8:30 – 4:30 and ability to work evening and weekends where necessary;
- Extended hours of work may be required and occasionally out of town travel;
- Valid Driver’s License and access to a dependable vehicle.
Deadline for applications is 4:00 p.m., Thursday, September 26, 2018.
For further information and to submit your application, please contact:
Patrick Miller, Band General Manager
Netmizaaggamig Nishnaabeg (Pic Mobert First Nation)
P.O. Box 717
Mobert, ON P0M 2J0
Tel: (807) 822-2134 ext. 209
(204) 679-3803 (Cell #)
Fax: (807) 822-2850
Applications should be clearly marked: Competition/Education Manager. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.