Job Posting – Chiefs of Ontario: SPECIAL EDUCATION SUPPORT TECHNICIAN
The Chiefs of Ontario is inviting applications for the position of Special Education Support Technician. Under the supervision of the COO Director of Education, the Special Education Support Technician is expected to assist First Nation communities and organizations in the delivery of Special Education programming including the federal High Cost Special Education Program (HCSEP) for a two year term.
LOCATION: Kenora area- Northwestern Ontario.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analysis of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and First Nation data on Special Education.
- Analysis of current Special Education methodology.
- Liaise and strengthen relationships between First Nations, Tribal Councils, Provincial Territorial Organizations (PTOs), provincial education systems and INAC.
- Increase understanding of current Special Education methodology through direct contact with First Nation communities including workshops/training sessions.
- Identify barriers, challenges and issues associated with current Special Education programs including funding methodology through various means.
- Attend OFNSEWG meetings as required to collaborate on the development of recommendations to improve the delivery of Special Education to First Nation learners.
- Collaborate and share information with other Special Education Support Technicians.
- Assist with negotiating Special Education addendums to Education Services (Tuition) Agreements.
- Understand, maintain and update the HCSEP Toolkit.
- Assist with HCSEP reports, work plans, applications and funding allocation processes as required.
- Assist in review and/or development of community Special Education Policies.
- Relevant post secondary education.
- Knowledge of First Nation traditions, cultures, and values; understand the history and relationship between First Nations and the Crown.
- Extensive experience with the First Nation and provincial Special Education programming and policies.
- Extensive understanding of the diversity among First Nations.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Possess organizational, communications skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to research information from various sources.
- Experience with computer software applications Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Experience with data collection and analysis.
- Valid driver’s licence and able and willing to travel regularly.
DURATION: July 2nd, 2017 – March 31st, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 23rd, 2017, 5:00 pm EST (Application must be received by this date & time)
Send letter of application, resume and include 2 references marked confidential to:
Nathan Wright, Chief Operating Officer
Chiefs of Ontario
468 Queen Street East, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M5A 1T7