Job Posting – PMFN: Manager – Lands and Resources
Notice of Career Opportunity: Manager – Lands and Resources
The Pic Mobert First Nation is offering an exciting and challenging opportunity for a results-oriented person to fulfill the role of Lands & Resources Coordinator to help plan and provide technical support to the overall operations of the Lands & Resources office.
The Manager of Lands & Resources Coordinator will have overall responsibility for oversight and management of the Lands and Resources Dept. with a heavy focus on delivering a coordinated system to engage and manage resource industry activities within the Pic Mobert First Nation’s territory. This will include acting as a senior member of the negotiating team on negotiations for several impact benefit agreements within the mining sector.
The Lands & Resources Coordinator will also provide technical support in reviewing, researching, analyzing and developing policy recommendations related to land use planning and the natural resources development sector, including care and management of TEK records and mapping.
Support will also be provided to various processes under way with respect to litigation on land claim matters.
- Acts as Core Consultation Point Person for all consultations for the community, and act as consultation contact for industry and government (provincial and federal).
- Receives, documents, processes and investigates Crown Land disposition requests from OMNR;
- Provides or administers due diligence reviews of permit applications received by the Ontario Crown for activities within the PMFN traditional territory;
- Liaises with external organizations with respect to lands and resources issues within the PMFN traditional territory;
- Liaises with designated representatives of adjacent First Nations with respect to lands and resources issues within the LSFN traditional territory.
- Advises Chief and Council on known lands and resources issues within the PMFN traditional territory.
- Post-secondary education in a resource-based field (Forestry, Geology, Environmental, etc.), or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 2 or 3 years of experience related to a resource-based sector
- Experience with organizing and managing a small staff
- Understanding of environmental and mining legislation in Ontario
- Excellent familiarity with and knowledge of working with First Nations
- Computer literacy; ability to operate a PC effectively, proficient with Microsoft Applications, experience with related digitized data bases
- Minimum 2 years of experience with ESRI ArcGIS software
- Competency with GPS devices
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good research and analytical skills
- Ability to speak Ojibway would be a strong asset
- The candidate will ideally be a Pic Mobert Band member
- The candidate should be an active and committed user of the land in traditional skills
- The candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team
- Flexible schedule including ability to work irregular hours, weekends and travel
- The candidate will also possess a valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle
SALARY: Depending on qualifications and experience
Deadline for applications is 4:00 p.m., Friday May 19, 2017 – applications can be mailed, or dropped off to the Band Administration office or emailed, but must be received by the deadline to be considered.
For further information, and to submit your application, please contact:
Norman Jaehrling, CEO
Pic Mobert First Nation
P.O. Box 717
Mobert, Ontario P0M 2J0
Tel: (807) 822-2134
Fax: (807) 822-2850
Applications must be clearly marked: Competition/ Manager of Lands and Resources